Wednesday, July 8, 2020

spotted at the Hong Kong Museum of History

I found these cool photos on flickr from the Hong Kong Museum of History 香港歷史博物館
photo by iris_709394

 It is from a display of Hong Kong life in the 60s, part of the permanent exhibition.  And hey!  Check out that cool little machine.

photo by iris_709394

Definitely pachinko vibes, but the scoring card on top suggests it's played like bingo.  As my friend nazox2016 wrote to me:
(4 horizontal in a row) 一次(4 vertical in a row) 三次(4 diagonal in a row) 四次
I'm not good at Cantonese, but I guess "五毛一次” means "1 Play 5 cent"."一次", "三次", and "四次" means "1 time", "3 times", and "4 times".
So 1 point for horizontal row, 3 points for vertical, 4 points for diagonal?

photo by iris_709394
The machine looks like a modified version of this 1954 Zipper Skill machine (by Binks Industries).  If it retains some of the same hardware, a bunch of the case has been removed + replaced.
But mostly I just love the hand-painted artwork on it.


zoom in on the Hong Kong one:

No comments:

Post a Comment