Sunday, October 23, 2022

exploring the arcade in 本日休診 / Honjitsu kyûshin / Doctor's Day Off (1952)

Another movie I discovered via a tweet by TOO_yoshikawa, this movie shows us a handful of older pachinko machines.  The famous "masamura gauge" came out in 1951, but these machines are older.

本日休診 (1952)

I am adding to my "exploring pachinko in Japanese cinema..." post as well, but I also wanted to share as a standalone post to highlight a few extra scenes.







I always love shots that show off the attendants







There is also a subsequent scene where he enters a room in a house and his winnings of balls and cigarettes spill on the floor:






Also of interest to me is this scene where a man is on the floor working on go problems, with the man on the working on a chess board.  (Go is pretty much the best game ever made)








You can watch the whole movie on youtube:


No comments:

Post a Comment