Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Introducing... Sinbad!!!

I am in love with this game.  It is the perfect combination of the 70s Gottlieb EM esthetics, but with a more advanced solid state ruleset.  (OK, the casual racism is a touch offputting, I admit)
The rules are straightforward and addictive: 4 drop banks of differing amounts of drops: 1, 2, 3, and 4.  Finishing each bank lights a roll over at the top. 
Each bank also awards a bonus X multiplier, but with the catch that the multiplier won't apply unless you have the prior drop banks down.  i.e. no multiplier X for finishing the third bank until banks 1 and 2 are also down.
And for extra strategy, the third bank lights the extra ball roll over at the top, so risk/reward abounds.

Double flippers mean you face crippling embarrassment of the ball going down right between them, and the lolling ball arcs of EMs means you have to be a few steps ahead to shake away from the outlanes.

a really sedctive layout

The final thing that sold me on this game was the Pascal PI-1/X4 board in it.  All 3 other boards and their interconnects?  Gone.  I'm lucky that I have never had to re-pin a connector, as apparently that is not a rare thing to do on Gottlieb System 1 machines.
The board adds extra features of a skill shot, ball save, and I think more high scores.

Even though this is my first real post on this machine, I probably won't discuss it much since there isn't too much to do any more!
The big issue was the left pop bumper wasn't working, totally jammed up.  I was lucky to also receive a spare playfield with this game, so I harvested the remaining mechs (pop bumpers and flippers) and then sold the playfield.
I was able to use one of those salvaged coils and a brand new coil sleeve and had it going great.

you can quickly tell this one might be a problem.

And then it was stuck again.
What had happened was the switch was getting stuck on and the fuse wasn't blowing and so the coil was bulging/overheating.

I eventually traced this back to the plastics of the pop bumper, which had enough give to allow the switch plate to get wedged under the plastic chasis, at certain angles, and then be always on.
I swapped out the whole pop bumper assembly with a spare from the other playfield, and it has been perfect since.

Hard to see here, but the plastic blue bit is wedged down on the bottom right.  Stuck!
Spare playfield to the rescue!  Time to harvest.
inspecting and cleaning the spare.

LED lights now all behind the backglass.  I am going to get some LED blinkers still, though.  Those incandescent blinkers heat up right quick!
I took the plastics off, did a deep clean, and swapped in LEDs on the playfield.  Added lexan washers to the plastics posts.  Even though many of the plastics have chipped, they still look good all around, so want to avoid any further damage.
Novus 2, Novus 1, then waxing.  Then I used clear low-tack plastic sheets to cover all of the playfield wear spots at the top, around the bumpers, and in front of the drop banks.  Hopefully that will help keep it well preserved for years to come.

All that is left really is to pop in a new rebound rubber, as the current one is going a touch stale and doesn't have the signature bounce.
And one light socket needs replacing, as it is too corroded.
Parts ordered!

some lovely colours

No comments:

Post a Comment