Thursday, August 4, 2022

The tamakorogashi book is out! ものと人間の文化史 188 玉ころがし by 杉山 一夫 (Cultural History of Things and Humans 188 Rolling Balls by Kazuo Sugiyama)

Look what arrived today!  Last year I spent many long hours as a research assistant for this book and I'm excited to get my hands on it.

Cultural History of Things and Humans 188 Rolling Balls by Kazuo Sugiyama


The cover overlay features a graphic taken from a "Japanese Ball Game" I purchased, and paid to have digitally restored:

go to the tamakorogashi article for more details!


The book is published by Hosei University Press [ISBN978-4-588-21881-1] and is 370 pages of pre-arcade history for all of the Meiji-era fans in your life. :)

My central thesis around Japanese Rolling Ball was that it was the central ancestor of modern day redemption arcades.  It directly evolved into Fascination and Pokerino as electricity became available, seems to have inspired the invention of skee-ball, and was used as inspiration for a new type of carnival barker game.

Documenting the birth of the earliest redemption arcade models is, for me, the most important achievement of this research.


Available for purchase at Amazon Japan, Honto, Rakuten, and other places.



Hey it's me!
This is now the 2nd book from Japan with my name in it :)
But this time my name appears a few more times, and the research I did is spread out through the entire book.




hello!







No comments:

Post a Comment