Friday, October 22, 2021

1938 Bally Operator collections book

 I picked up this Bally Operators' book and I'm very happy to share it with you all.



It's a 50 page notepad with paper and then carbon paper beneath each page.  The operator could fill out the information, do the math, pass the location a copy of the receipt, and keep their carbon-copy records.

It offers a tiny glimpse into the world of pinball in 1938, where payout games were prestigious kings, and most locations would certainly pay-off on a novelty game as well if the cops weren't around.

I do not know where this route was.  


I have photographed all of the pages, compiled the data, and will make it available for download.


page 34: Golden Wheel @ Milltown Diner


I've compiled a summary of the data I can glean from the cards.  Some things are guesses based on the handwriting.


data from all pages





page 23: Great Guns @ Cabin

I compiled a list of all the games mentioned in the pages.  Some of these I have strong confidence in.  Some of these are best-guesses based on the handwriting, shortened names, and dates of manufacture.

Airway of 37, 1937 Bally

Beam-Lite 1937, 1937 Chicago Coin

Electro, 1938 Stoner

Globe Trotter, 1938 Gottlieb

Golden Wheel, 1937 Bally

Great Guns, 1937 Keeney

Hare + Hound, 1937 Exhibit

Jungle, 1938 Genco

Mars, 1937 Chicago Coin

Palm Spring, 1938 Bally

Penny P?

Silver Flash, 1937 Genco

Target, 1935 Beverator

Track Meet, 1937 Exhibit

Vogue, 1938 Stoner

Bulls Eye, 1937 Bally

Bulls Eye, 1931 Exhibit

Due to the Bulls Eye receipts having "on gum" listed as major expenses, I'm tempted to believe the Bulls Eye in question is the 1931 Exhibit gum dispenser, but I think that's a penny machine and I can't imagine they sold that much gum, so probably the Bally and the gum thing is a coincidence?

If you can read the writing please let me know your best guesses.

Zip File with 50 images + XLS spreadsheet

2 comments: