Saturday, December 23, 2023

映像が語る パチンコの歴史 (The history of pachinko through video) [with English subtitles]

I am very happy to present another pachinko documentary! 

  

映像が語る パチンコの歴史 (The history of pachinko through video) [with English subtitles] from Caitlyn Pascal on Vimeo.

This video is also available with JUST the annotations, done in Japanese.


I purchased 2 pachinko documentaries on VHS tape from Japan.  I had originally planned to prepare both to release at the same time, but life got very busy.  While I was working on them, I acquired a 1992 pachino documentary that featured my friend Nic Costas, and that redirected my attention for a while.  1992-01 TVムック故郷は欧州 意外なパチンコ進化論 / TV Mook Mystery Journey: Surprising theory of pachinko evolution

I would like to apologize for the delay in releasing this video.  I will begin working on the 2nd video in 2024, probably in February.



It was a long process to make this happen, and involved the help of many people across the globe.  First, there was the seller who had saved these tapes.  Then they went to Jason Scott of the Internet Archive, who does the long and hard work of digitizing analogue media.

Jason Scott on his livestream, with the pachinko tapes visible in the background.

The automated transcript was then edited by 佐藤 裕治 (Yuji Sato) of GPS.  He did wonderful work, but unfortunately this is when I was distracted by the 1992 video project.  Many apologies, and thank you!

Pachinko historian Kazuo Sugiyama provided annotations to correct the factual errors.

I used translation software to give an initial translation of the transcript.  This required massive editing of course, and thank you to Ladios of Gaming Alexandria for assisting this project.


The National Diet Library has an entry for this video, guessing it as from 2000. (archive)  The company that produced it 日本アミューズメント放送 (Japan Amusement Broadcasting) only formed in 1999.


No comments:

Post a Comment